Posts for tag: braces
Have you started orthodontic treatment recently? Are you having a little trouble getting used to your braces? If so, you are not alone: Everybody goes through an adjustment period during which they momentarily wonder if they’ll really ever get used to this. Don’t worry — you will! And we’ve never heard anyone say, on the day their braces come off and their new smile is revealed, that they aren’t glad they went the distance. Just ask Houston Rockets all-star center Dwight Howard, who discussed his own orthodontic treatment in a recent interview.
“I’m sure I was no different than anyone else who has ever had braces,” he told Mediaplanet. “At first I hated them so much… That changed once I got used to them and I actually grew to love them.” What’s Howard’s advice? “Do exactly what your orthodontist says and know that the outcome is well worth it in the end.” We couldn’t agree more! Here are some tips for wearing braces comfortably:
- Hard & Chewy Foods: If you love fresh fruits and vegetables, that’s great; there’s no reason to give them up, just the really hard ones. You don’t want to bite into an apple or carrot or any other hard foods like bagels and pizza that have any “size” to them. Small pieces may be ok as long as they can’t bend your wires. Chewy, sticky candy should really be avoided completely. Same with soda, sports drinks and so-called energy drinks because they contain acids that promote tooth decay and can cause a lot of damage around the braces.
- Effective Oral Hygiene: Keeping your teeth clean is more important than ever, but also more challenging than ever. It’s easy for food to get stuck under wires and around brackets, but failing to remove it can cause tooth decay, gum irritation and soreness. Therefore, the cleaner your teeth and your braces are, the healthier you will be. Use interdental cleaning brushes and/or a floss-threader to get behind your wires. A mouthrinse can also help strengthen teeth and keep bacteria in check. If you have any questions about how to clean between your teeth, please ask for a demonstration at your next visit.
- Pain Relief: Some soreness at the beginning of orthodontic treatment is normal. To relieve it, you can use an over-the-counter pain reliever and/or a warm washcloth or heating pad placed on the outside of the jaw. If brackets or wires are rubbing against the inside of your cheeks or lips, try applying wax to these areas of your braces. If this does not offer enough relief, we may be able to trim the end of a poking wire. Call us if you need help with this.
Our goal is to make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable as possible on the way to achieving your all-star smile. If you have questions about adjusting to braces, contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Caring for Teeth During Orthodontic Treatment.”
How Invisalign from your Huntersville dentist can improve your smile
Do you want straight teeth? Are you afraid you will have to wear uncomfortable brackets and wires? Are you worried about how long orthodontic treatment takes? If you answered yes to these questions, it’s time to discover the innovative, state-of-the-art orthodontic treatment known as Invisalign. Dr. JC Duncan in Huntersville, NC wants to introduce you to the magic of Invisalign, the virtually invisible way to straighten your teeth discreetly and quickly.
When you choose Invisalign, you are choosing a revolutionary system of clear plastic aligners. You start with the first pair, which you wear for 2 weeks. You move on to the next pair of aligners, which you wear for another 2 weeks. You keep moving to a new pair of aligners every 2 weeks until your treatment is complete.
There are many advantages of Invisalign over conventional brackets and wires. Consider that Invisalign treatment is:
- Quick, because treatment is complete at 9 to 15 months, compared to years with conventional orthodontic treatment
- Discreet, because the clear plastic aligners are virtually invisible to people around you
- Comfortable, because Invisalign aligners are created out of smooth plastic, with no sharp parts to hurt your soft tissue
- Easy to maintain, because you can remove them for cleaning
- Healthy, because you can brush and floss your teeth normally after you remove the aligners
Another major benefit of Invisalign is that you can eat whatever you want because you remove the aligners when you eat. Conventional brackets and wires often catch food, making it difficult for to enjoy the foods you are eating. You can return to eating the foods you love with Invisalign.
Invisalign aligners are beautiful, but they are also strong enough to correct an overbite, underbite, crossbite or open bite. They can also correct overlapped teeth and close gaps between your teeth.
If you are considering orthodontic treatment and you want to straighten your teeth discreetly, you want Invisalign! If you want rapid results with minimum effort, Invisalign is perfect for you. For more information about Invisalign, call Dr. Duncan in Huntersville, NC. You can look forward to a straight smile by calling today!